Instagram Page Management for Beginners
It was launched in 2010 and now has over 700 million monthly users. The app allows users to upload photos and videos, which can be edited with various filters, and organised with tags and location information. In August 2016, it launched Instagram Stories, a feature that allows users to take photos, use effects and layers, and add them to their Instagram story. Content uploaded to a user's story expires after 24 hours.
How to set up a business account
1. Download and launch the Instagram app (avaliable for Android , IOS and Windows).
2. Open the app once it has downloaded. If you already have a personal account from your profile hompage click on your name (top middle) select ‘login or create a new account’. Select ‘create new account’.
3. Complete the sign up instructions on screen. You can sign up with your email or mobile number or you can ‘Log In With Facebook’.
4. Choose your username and complete the registration step process.
5. Click on the three lines top right of screen and then into ‘settings’.
6. From the settings menu list choose ‘switch to business account’*.
*note you may have to wait a few days to get this option
The main interface of Instagram is made up of:
- Home page - Shows a feed of all the posts and stories from other Instagram accounts that you follow.
- Discover - Suggests content that you might like, based on the accounts and tags that you follow.
- Notifications - Your notifications will appear here, the ‘following’ tab allows you to see activity from profiles that you follow.
- Profile - Your profile page shows a feed of all the posts you have published. In the top section of your profile you can add stories by clicking on your profile picture blue plus icon, access Instagram "Promotions" and "Edit Profile"
Posting on Instagram
Select the ‘+’ icon from the main Instagram menu to post to you profile. This will automatically open up your phone camera roll. You have a few options for posting; you can post a single image or video or multiple images and video (up to 10).
In addition to this you have the option to upload a Boomerang (a mini video which loops back and forth) or photo collage using Instagram Layout. These two options require additional app downloads.
Once you have uploaded the content you wish to post select ‘Next’ from the top right hand side you will now have the option to customize your photos and video with a ‘Filter’.
It is important to add a compelling and interesting caption to your post. Captions can be 2,200 characters including emojis and up to 30 hashtags.
Top tips for Instagram
- Use hashtags to amplify content and reach people. Create a hashtag for your brand and use it in your posts, encourage customers to use it too. Join in with popular hashtags for your industry, location, product / service.
- Keep your profile consistent in branding and theme, choose photos and video with similar colours or use a consistent photo filter.
- Remember to take time with captions, mention people, tag your location and use a call to action.
- Diversify your content, try stories using different types, use highlights to keep theme content.
- Cross post and share on other social media channels.
For more information, download our Instagram for beginners' toolkit.