Blackrock House B&B
Tourist accommodation grading
Tourism NI is pleased to advise that Quality Grading assessments have resumed for new members. Further information about renewal assessments will follow soon. If you have any questions, please contact 028 9044 1682 or QA@tourismni.com.
Whilst it is a legal obligation for all tourist accommodation providers to have a certificate from Tourism NI in order to operate, participating on the Quality Assurance Grading Scheme is voluntary. Research does show that consumers value the star ratings provided by national tourist boards when planning where to stay.
Tourism NI’s Quality Assurance Grading Scheme is the same common standards scheme that is used by the AA and other national tourist boards in Scotland, England and Wales.
For more information on the grading process and Quality Assurance Grading Scheme fees please see Quality Grading Assessments.
Benefits of being quality graded
A large majority of tourist accommodation providers in England, Scotland and Wales participate in their national tourist boards’ Quality Assurance Grading Schemes. Research has shown that consumers value the star ratings provided by national tourist boards when they are planning where to stay. Other benefits of being part of the grading scheme for accommodation providers include:
- Access to one-to-one advice from a team of experienced Quality Advisors.
- Provision of a written report highlighting the strengths and weaknesses within your business with advice on how to maximise customer satisfaction.
- Access to Tourism NI marketing support including a priority display on Tourism NI’s consumer website discovernorthernireland.com which receives over 2.9 million visitors each year, with more than 375,000 visitors sourcing information on tourist accommodation.
- Provision of a suite of marketing support materials, including a star rating plaque, window sticker, certificate and web logo for use on your website and social media channels.
- Access to Tourism NI’s specialist Welcome Schemes.
Accommodation grading scheme case studies
Willowbank House is a 4* Bed & Breakfast located approximately three miles from Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh. Joan Foster talks about her experience of the Tourism NI’s Quality Grading Scheme.
The Anchorage Inn is a 4* guest house just off the promenade in Portstewart. In this short video, Danny Coyles, General Manager at The Anchorage Inn, talks briefly about his experience and journey through Tourism NI’s Quality Assurance Grading Scheme.
Further information - quality scheme guidance notes and criteria
Guidance notes on Tourism NI's Quality Assurance Grading Scheme:
- Guidance Notes for B&Bs, Guest Houses and Guest Accommodation Operators on Quality Grading .
- Guidance Notes for Hostels on Quality Grading .
- Guidance Notes for Hotels on Quality Grading.
- Guidance Notes for Self-catering Operators on Quality Grading.
Assessment criteria of Tourism NI's Quality Assurance Grading Scheme:
- Assessment Criteria for B&Bs, Guest Houses and Guest Accommodation Providers on Quality Grading.
- Assessment Criteria for Exclusive Use Venue Providers on Quality Grading.
- Assessment Criteria for Hostels on Quality Grading.
- Assessment Criteria for Hotel Operators on Quality Grading.
- Assessment Criteria for Self-catering Operators on Quality Grading.
Useful resources - sourcing local produce
If you would like to find out more information on sourcing local produce please see the following guides: